Tourist guides to Barcelona
- Info: English, Spanish, Catalan
The print version of TimeOut's Barcelona guide has got to be one of the very best available. A party game for those that live here: Yes, but does it include…? And, inevitably it seems, it does.
The website doesn't include all the print version does, and if you are coming to Barcelona, isn't something you can carry around in your pocket going to be so much more convenient...?
There's also a weekly print magazine version of TimeOut Barcelona, in Catalan only.
- We liked: The This Month section, Shops, Cafés and Bars, and Restaurants sections. They recommend it, you can safely go for it.
- Info: English, Spanish, Catalan, French
The Municipal Tourist Board runs this website with the aim of promoting the city as a tourist destination. It has a lot of information of all kinds and is one of the best Barcelona sites.
Note also the neat Barcelona Apps the Tourist Board has created.
The main actual Barcelona tourist board information office itself is in the SE corner of Plaza Catalunya, located underground (!) on the other side of the road from the Corte Inglés department store.
- Info: English, Spanish, German, French
The Spanish Tourist Board have quite a impressive Barcelona section (not to mention the rest of Spain). It has extensive information on accommodation, museums and restaurants and the like, as well as a good section on what to do with children in Barcelona.
- We liked: The information and suggestions on places to visit outside Barcelona
- Not so hot: With so much information, a little hard to find things
- Info: English
We're not impressed by the Lonely Planet site for Barcelona. We don't like the copy ("The art will make you clammy all over. The people, with their exuberance, their duende..."). The whole thing is naff and looks as if it hasn't been either updated or ever properly researched in the first place. The "map" is... well, frankly!
Ok... you only just heard about some place called "Barcelona"? It will give you a very brief outline – but then you want to surf off somewhere else.
- We liked: Er... the TimeOut guide?
- Not so hot: Bullfighting? Not in Barcelona, thank you!